Tuesday, December 3, 2013

What really goes on inside this tin can?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NANA!!

We have been on the road 1 month today!  Where does the time go? If I didn’t have this blog, I probably wouldn’t know where I was, or where we’ve been! So far, it has been quite an adventure!

Anyone curious about what really goes on inside this 400 sq ft tin can besides Kevin M?

I think I have said this before, it’s kind of like being at home behind closed curtains.  It’s our own unique, portable world.  The kids are not homesick, because this is home.  At first, I thought this would be our big issue, that someone would want to go home earlier than planned.  I made sure all our beds were extra special because we all like our own bed, right?  

"You're going to be together with your husband AND kids AND dog 24/7 in that thing? You are CRAZY!"   

Honestly, that was the last thing that occurred to me.   Why wouldn’t I want to be with my most favorite people, doing what we want to do without schedules, bosses, commitments? We got ourselves some time.  TIME, what a commodity...this is the true luxury these days.  No one ever seems to have enough of it.  For many years Scott and I were together 24/7 and it was always fine, we never gave it much thought.  Since he went back to work in an office and the kids are in school all day, I admit I love being home alone, who wouldn’t? 

Here is a typical “day in the life.”  The first thing I do is reach for my phone to check the time and think “did I miss the sunrise?”  Then I usually pull up our privacy shade and wipe the condensation off the windows to see if there is any spectacular color I need to jump out of bed for.  Most days Scott still makes me coffee and brings it into our bedroom.  This is when I have time alone and things are still quiet.  I check in on FB, email or read a book for awhile.  It’s pretty calm and peaceful, especially in the mornings when everyone is into their own electronic device.  Scott is the cook in the family so he usually gets breakfast going after he has done his daily online routines.  Scout is a piece of cake and usually doesn’t bother us to take him out until we are ready.  

We hang out, the kids go online and do schoolwork on Khan Academy. Scott is patient while helping them with their home schooling, most of it is math related so I'm out!  I get the kids their clothes and usually head out to find a shower.  We have a full shower on board, but, I prefer more elbow room and take it when I can get it. Most of the RV parks we stay at have nice shower/laundry facilities anyway.  This is my time alone.  

We had been hoping to sit outside nightly on our lawn chairs, have some fires, do some star gazing etc. and extend our living area but that hasn’t happened yet due to the weather being too cold in most places.  One night in Sedona, we were a dozen steps from the hot tub so Scott and I managed a mini-date alone while the kids played Wii in the RV.  

The boys have been getting along well, they have their moments of getting on each other’s nerves but they get over it quickly.  They have always been so lucky to have each other and now more than ever.  Most nights they are up in Jack’s loft area laughing their heads off playing with the Wii, or we play games at the table, which is always a good time.  They have both been great in helping out with “RV chores”.  Certain things need to be done before we shove off and hit the road.  We all have our own things we do that we just figured out on our own.  Scott unplugs us, and does the outdoor duties and Jack usually is out there helping.  Tyler is the first one to jump up and help dry dishes, keep the drawers from flying out and off their hinges while making tight turns.  He checks the main dashboard for water levels/propane etc. I am the stewardess, making sure everything is stowed properly.  Some mornings I kick them all out so I can clean, in peace.


We have always spent a lot of time together as a family.  At home, we are not over scheduled and stressed out running from place to place.  We definitely are homebodies  The kids are at an age where they are still very huggy and loving.  Any quick hug from Scott automatically turns into a group hug. We are in that “sweet spot” with the kids and have been for awhile.  We still lay with them every night before bed and read stories. 


All in all, I actually prefer living like this.  I have less stuff, less to think about and get to see new things everyday.  Yesterday, for example we were headed to Las Vegas…then I checked the map and saw the the Hoover Dam was actually 30 miles before Las Vegas and with this gas guzzler, we prefer not to backtrack.  I had to get a new plan and find an RV park quick!  I had tried calling several times during the day and it was always busy.  When we drove up, it looked packed and I thought we would have to journey on.  Was I surprised to pull into Lake Mead National Recreation Area and get a premium lakefront spot.  

So this is it, this is the moment that people wake up and wish for again, the time that passed them by.  We are happy to be living it and appreciating it. It won’t last forever, but the memories will.  So, one month in, I would say we are doing great and we all still like and love each other!  Pick your battles or not.

The only stress I have is that I have this loose itinerary in my head, but when we are ready to hit the road, Scott needs a destination plugged into the GPS! I guess I better go figure that out…


NEXT INSTALLMENT: So how much does all this really cost? 

2 comments:

  1. "So this is it, this is the moment that people wake up and wish for again, the time that passed them by. We are happy to be living it and appreciating it. It won’t last forever, but the memories will. So, one month in, I would say we are doing great and we all still like and love each other! Pick your battles or not."

    this sums up the whole trip... be it around the country or to Salisbury Beach. and yes, picking your battles.. or not... is the key... just as picking your moments is key, or not. journey on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we could be anywhere! But, the sights are pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete