Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Route 66 & Lake Mead

We arrived in the Las Vegas area on 12/2.  

Leaving the Grand Canyon, we took a quick detour onto Route 66 in Seligman, AZ.  We stopped at the RoadKill Cafe and grabbed a burger.  Not how we like to eat everyday, but it was good!  There was a "movie-type" scene set up just outside and we let the kids run around and goof off in the jail!


My Mom is pretty excited. We’re going to stand on the corner in Winslow Arizona! When we got there my Mom took a bunch of pictures. We also went out for lunch at a place called the Road Kill CafĂ©. It didn’t sound appetizing, but of course it wasn’t real road kill…I hope. Outside were props, so our Mom made us pose. Then we went and saw wigwam hotels. Time to hit the road again!
~Jack











Checking out the map, I figured out that the Lake Mead and Hoover Dam area was just before Las Vegas, so we decided to park it here for the next couple of days.   We really got lucky with this fantastic park we are staying in.  It is part of the Lake Mead National Recreational Area.  Our National Parks Annual Pass got us thru the gates and then we were able to score some prime real estate with premium unobstructed lake views.  We arrived just before sunset and I couldn't even believe what was opening up in front of my eyes.  I immediately grabbed my camera and bolted out of the RV and down the the beach.


We are at Lake Mead.  It’s a lake that goes down to Hoover Dam.  Once we got there, it was a beautiful day so Tyler and I went biking.  We did it over and over again, and one time we saw a cactus with a mustache and a hat.  Then our parents joined in, and we showed them everything we saw.  We were pretty tired, but Tyler and I still wanted to do something.  We jogged and walked down to the lake.  It took longer than we expected, but we did it anyway.  My Dad wanted to buy some beer, so we went to the marina.  The wind on us was terrible!  It was blowing towards us and it was pretty heavy wind.  It even made my Mom and Tyler turn back.  When we got to the marina, a house boat was floating away.  I thought it was funny how everyone was reaching out for someone.  When they got saved, we got the beer and headed back.  For sunset, I went down to the beach with my Mom.  Coyotes were out and I saw a few too.  I brought my trusty walking stick from Buddha Beach, just in case.  It was a beautiful sunset.
~Jack




Looks like a toy sailboat...this is for scale, it is just enormous!

Since that sunset was so spectacular, everyone joined me in a sunrise shoot the next morning.
Jack
It was a nice mild day and we just hung out soaking up the sunshine, went for a nice bike ride and then the winds picked up...25MPH winds may not seem like much, but in an RV it is another story! Last night I felt like were were floating in Lake Mead...on a dinghy...in a hurricane! OK, so I exaggerate...

We will go check out the Hoover Dam today and maybe head up north a bit before heading into Las Vegas.  Thank you Keri and Juliana for the kid friendly tips.  Looks like there is plenty in Las Vegas to keep us busy for a few days...I can't wait!  Ten or so years from now we will have to take the kids back for a reunion trip...when they are 21!
Dec 4 sunrise
Thanks for following along!

~Linda



2 comments:

  1. OMG....The sunset image is BEAUTIFUL sigh....... I loved reading what you wrote. This by far has been my favorite entry. You make me think about how time truly is a commodity, something precious that we never seem to have enough of. You know what is important in life Linda, know how rare that is? Oh Yes, you do! Running from place to place, buying things we don't need, having "Too Much", our lives go bye in a flash, now is the time, and really, there is only "Now" tomorrow isn't guaranteed. So I am so glad you are enjoying each other and getting to see how beautiful the country is at the same time. Never been to lake Mead, but I think I need to put that on the bucket list, GOD is that beautiful.

    ReplyDelete