Monday, December 16, 2013

Visit with a grade school friend, Woodside, CA

December 16, 2013


San Francisco! We are crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.
~Jack

There are so many great things about traveling the way we are.  One is being able to connect with old friends.  Kevin and I got reacquainted on Facebook a couple years ago, around reunion time.  So, when we started out this trip I let him know that we would be in the San Francisco area and he said to come on by.  I'm so glad we did.  

We arrived on Saturday afternoon and the kids instantly bonded over video games, the adults over cocktails and wine.  I always see him "checking in" at Vesta in downtown Redwood City, CA.  I knew that I just had to have dinner there!  We had a great meal, conversation and dessert.  The kids were in heaven after the meal at a candy/ice cream place right next door.  Jack even spent the first night sleeping in his house. 

Parked in front of Kevin & Julia's facing the vineyard
We have had a nice relaxing couple of days and not the usual sightseeing. The boys really enjoyed just hanging out with other kids, jumping on their bikes and generally just taking advantage of distracted parents.  In a matter of hours Kevin's Christmas tree went from having a couple dozen candy canes to none! The kids would probably have a smart comeback and could say that they saw a couple of dozen bottles on the counter that were now gone too! 

So, here we are in San Fran and I bet you want to see pics of us at the Golden Gate Bridge, maybe at Ghiradelli Square or on a trolley car.  Well, that didn't happen and I'm pretty sure I only took pics of their huge Irish wolfhound this weekend that was just so big and fascinating to me.  

How much for the dog in the window?
It's not about seeing every single site or crossing everything off the "bucket list".  At the beginning of this year, I told myself I wanted to "see" more people that I hadn't seen in years.  I did it in March when I met my friend Jodi in Florida, and squeaked in a quick visit with Michelle V.,  I got to meet my longtime online friend, Kim K, over the summer and see her again a few weeks ago.  My old college friend from Spain, Calleen came out to Boston for a nice weekend in June.  Lisa H. and I finally caught up in upstate NY after almost 14 yrs!  I have missed seeing Bonnie & Sari, but hope to do that soon too!

Now I get to add Kevin to that bucket list! I did get to see my friend, not as the scrawny 15 yr old that I envisioned, but, as a great Dad, husband, cook and all around nice guy that he has turned into. It was so nice to meet his family and catch up.

a quick sunrise shot from his house.

Dragon watching as the guys cleaned up the remaining crab

kids digging in

Dragon, 150lb puppy

Time to journey on today and when we remember our time in San Fran we will remember the laughs, and Dungeness crab meal, the kids laughing and playing together in the background and say that was a nice couple of days.

Thank you Kevin, Julia, Thea & Malcolm for making us feel so welcome at your home! We loved San Fran and hope you come out to visit us one day in New England!

~Linda



No comments:

Post a Comment