Monday, December 23, 2013

El Capitan Canyon - Santa Barbara

December 23, 2013

"Santa" Barbara sounds like the perfect spot for Christmas.  It has been nice and relaxing here for the last couple of days.  


Christmas is almost here and we are staying until that.  We found ourselves a nice RV Park with a pool and hikes.  We just hung out, biking around the RV Park.  One day we biked down to the beach.  It had a lot of rocks.  Our Mom told us to look for heart shaped rocks and we’d get $10 for every one we found.  Tyler and I were looking everywhere.  We started finding so much my Mom said everyone would be $1.  My Dad was looking for some anemone.  There was a lot!  There was even a big one taking up a puddle in a rock!  We moved on along the beach and my Mom and Tyler headed back.  I just took a little walk with my Dad.  WHOOSH!  A wave hit me.  I was soaked!  We headed back and I was really uncomfortable riding on my bike when I was drenched in water.  I went in the pool and hot tub.  My brother kept trying to get my Dad into the pool.  I went in the shower after that.  It made me feel much better.  We biked down to The Cliff Store the day after to check it out.  It looked just like a gift shop.  Downstairs was a place where they served food.  We went there for dinner.  That night I made a fire.  We roasted marshmallows too.  Christmas is here!  I got an Acer computer (it doesn’t work at all) and a skim board.
~Jack
We had to change spots yesterday, so it was the perfect time to head into downtown Santa Barbara. As we were leaving, we had a little snafu and drove away with the RV still plugged into the electrical unit.  Scott had everything ready to go and was waiting for me to come back from the shower and thought I'd probably want another cup of coffee, so he left it plugged in and forgot about it.  At the time, it wasn't that funny.  Scott said he wasn't going to worry about it and would fix the wires later. The funny part comes later.





Here we are at the Santa Barbara Harbor and Stearns Wharf, which is the oldest working wharf in California.  Lots of people of their bikes, runners, walkers, dogs, & kids. The beach runs along the main thoroughfare and is lined with palm trees. Walking around made me think of Michelle and our time in Marbella and the seaside towns of Spain.  All the architecture is very Mediterranean with arched doorways and red tile roofs.  We enjoyed lunch al fresco on Stearn's Wharf, had a nice ice-cream and made a quick stop at Trader Joes.  







from Scott:

Have you been doing your random acts of kindness?
Yesterday, I spotted a man holding a sign outside of Trader Joe's "Hungry, Need Help". After leaving TJ's I handed him a bag of apples, a bunch of bananas, and a loaf of multigrain bread.  What really got me was he was crying when he said thanks. That made my day until I had to get out of that tight parking lot in a 32 foot RV.


I manage to direct him out of the tight spot...I had to get out of the RV and hold up traffic! People were very accommodating even though I saw them laughing at our predicament.  I would rather see them laughing than getting mad, right?

Scott had us all wired up again in no time flat...so glad he is so handy! What a guy...I'm so lucky!

Upon arrival in our new spot at "camp", and this is hardly camping, we met our new neighbors that will be next door for the next four days. 



Oh my goodness, what a fun couple with their 10 & 13 yr old boys.  Scott was relaying the story about the electrical and the guy was hysterical...almost like they were playing out a scene from the "Christmas Vacation" RV movie.  When Scott backed out earlier, there was a guy with a front row view, watching from his chair.  Scott heard something, looked in his rearview mirror and all he saw was the neighbor, with his hand up like a stop sign.  No emotion whatsoever.  So in retelling the story, anything Scott said, our new neighbor had some hilarious comment.  

The next few days should be interesting and full of belly busting laughs. We are just going to relax by the heated pool and hot tub, head down to the beach, ride bikes, and wait for Santa.  Jack told us of one thing he wanted the other day.  We did not buy it at the time.  Now that we are staying put, he is a bit concerned he will not get it.  You have to believe to receive! 

Did I mention that Jingle has located us? The kids were shocked and so excited. Here is a pic of our Christmas tree, it's a rosemary bush.







~Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment