Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Grand Canyon

December 1, 2013

Welcome to the Grand Canyon! I’m not going to let my dog fall in it. Hopefully. We pulled into the RV Park and plugged in. Good thing there were camping grounds there! It would’ve been a long walk. We saw a lot of deer on the first walk to the rim. Once we got there, it was just so amazing! Well, everything we saw on this trip was amazing. How do I explain this? It was just a beautiful hole that you don’t want to fall into. 

On the way back we saw a whole family of deer! One morning my Mom woke me up early for the sunrise. I always do that stuff with her. I brought layers and layers because it was freezing out! We had to take shuttle busses because we were going to a further part of the rim. It is amazing we can see… fog. My Mom said it would clear up, but it didn’t. That was a big bummer. We went out and had hot cocoa anyway. On the way back it was so foggy, and then right when we got to the RV, there was no fog at all. Later that morning, my Dad and I went on a walk. We saw some deer of course. My Dad came back with some good pictures. My Mom and I went for the sunset by shuttle bus too. If I said the sunrise was freezing, I was lying. It was nothing compared to this. I wore all my sweatshirts, my fleece, and my winter coat and I was still freezing! At least it was nicer than the sunrise. After we had done our pictures, we joined the nightmare of a line. We waited, and waited and the first bus still didn’t come. When it FINALLY came people started coming, out, we told them what they were getting into, but they would only figure it out soon. Then, everyone started inching up. I could see it getting crowded, a nearby person called “CONDENSE!”, but it was no use. Our miracle just drove away from us. Everyone in the bus grinned and waved at us. I yelled, but that would change a thing. I started running in place to keep warm as it was getting colder and darker. I tried not to picture my Dad and Tyler, in the cozy RV, and how the made the right choice of staying in it. When again, the bus FINALLY came, I got so excited. I crossed my fingers hoping there would be room for us. There was. I was so happy! It was so warm compared to outside. 

Once we got out of the bus, at the RV Park it was pitch black. Finding our RV was like finding a needle in a hay stack. After a while my Mom remembered her iPhone! It had a flashlight app. My Mom has a thing of not using her iPhone when it’s needed. Then we found our back to the RV and lived warm fully ever after.

~Jack

Black Friday! Spending the day consuming all the Grand Canyon has to offer!



We arrived to a cool, but sunny day.  We are staying at the RV campground right in the park about ½ mile from the South Rim.  We made the short trek over with Scout and took it all in.  It is grand and amazing.  You really have to see it to believe it! 



Along the way back, Jack was our Deer Whisperer and was able to find the mule deer hiding in the woods.  We came across a large family.  They do not seem to phased by the tourists and didn't mind posing for a few pictures. 



We came back to the RV and immediately Jack and I jumped on the Shuttle Bus to Hopi Point to catch the sunset while Scott and Tyler stayed back to make dinner and hang out with Scout.  


I was giving Jack some photography lessons!
I was so happy to have Jack with me for company. We had to get on and off different shuttle buses to get to the best location for the sunset.  After the sunset it cooled off quickly and got rather dark.  We were wishing we had brought a flashlight with us because it was pitch black going back into the RV park.  We had to "feel" our way in!  It was definitely worth the trek as you can see by my photos.



Since we had such great luck with the sunset, Jack and I headed out at 6am under a canopy of stars and a gorgeous crescent moon to watch the sunrise. We were only a few minutes into our ride when we were enveloped in complete fog. So, needless to say, after many shuttle bus transfers, we did not get to see the sunrise.



I snuck a nap in after the sunrise bust and we headed out again around noontime since we figured the fog would linger that long.  We left Scout behind today because we were going on a one way long walk and anticipated taking the shuttle back.  Although it was nice and sunny by us, the Canyon was in complete fog all day and it was a cool 30 degrees! If someone told me that there was an ocean out there I would have believed them! You could not view the canyon at all! 


Frosty trees!
We had a nice, big, late lunch and awesome hot chocolate to warm up, thanks for the recommendation Uncle Mark!



With all the fog cover yesterday, we didn't feel like we had seen enough of the Grand Canyon so we decided to stay another day.  We started with the inevitable...laundry, and 6 loads of it!  They had a ton of washers so it got done pretty quick. After that, a hot shower and some grocery shopping before driving to a parking lot a bit closer to where we wanted to hike so Scout could join us.  

The only negative thing about this motorhome is that once you plug it in, you don't feel like unplugging and buttoning everything up again, unless you are ready to move.  So, with the later start we stayed out long enough to watch the sunset and I didn't have to take 5 shuttles to see it!

It wasn't looking too promising along the walk to the rim trail.  All of the trees had these razor like icicles on them.  It reminded me of the time I was with my parents and Abby R. at Niagara Falls in December and everything was iced over.  Lots of fog again with the sun trying to stream though




The hike we chose today was about 3 miles roundtrip.  Scout isn't up for much more than that.  FYI - I sometimes photoshop his leash out of the photos...he is ALWAYS on a leash! So, don't think he is standing on the edge there untethered! Scott was just out of the right of the frame.


Even though it was a bit brisk, I found it perfect walking weather.


haha...the kids had fun with the snowy trees!


And, THAT is a wrap!  Taking off tomorrow...

~Linda










1 comment:

  1. i loved it there.. so much. i sat for so long and just watched.. listened. even the dirt felt different... the light was like nothing else.... the vastness made me feel small and insignificant yet, filled me with the greatest, strongest energy. i have a feeling you know what I mean

    ReplyDelete