Thursday, January 16, 2014

Tombstone, AZ

That name means many things to many people. It creates images of gunfights and dusty streets, whiskey and Faro games, Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and a plethora of old western movie scenes. But what many folks don't realize is that Tombstone Az is a real town with real inhabitants who have lived here throughout its history and still do today. That is part of the reason Tombstone has been called "The Town Too Tough to Die".





Back in jail, those bad boys!



I mentioned that we saw a "star show" in the observatory last night.  We saw a young family come in with 3 kids but it was very dark inside.  I did chat with their one son a couple of times.  During our day trip to Tombstone, I saw them in a gift shop and said hello.  We got to talking and they are 6 months into a 1 yr journey.  They were staying at the same park and mentioned they would be grilling out by the pool for dinner.  We decided to head over there and see if we could meet up with them.  The kids had fun swimming in the pool and we enjoyed exchanging stories while the kids ran amok!  I wouldn't be surprised to be bumping in to them again as we are on the same trek.

Jan. 15, 2014 Full Wolf Moon, the first full moon of the New Year is also the smallest.  This moon appeared when wolves howled outside villages vocalizing their hunger. It's also known as Old Moon or Moon After Yule.

How I got this image:

This was a big crowd pleaser on Facebook which I found entertaining.  I love to be able to be in the right spot for a full moon rising and when comes up 2 minutes before sunset, the timing is amazing.  We are in an RV park that backs up to a shopping mall.  It's a busy area, for Benson, AZ anyway.  I walked to the back of the park and there is a metal bridge that goes over a dry bed and gets you to the shopping plaza.  There are thorny bushes growing up and around.  I wanted to get a bit higher so I climbed the fence and hooked the outside of my nose on a thorn which instantly started to bleed. I had to get my shot...but this is what I was looking at, buildings, wires, there were some telephone poles in there too.  Bloody nose, I carried on and continued snapping away thinking something is better than nothing...


A lot more zoom and some good cropping and this was my final result.  Sometimes you never know what you have until you share it with others!


Heading into NM today. and will more than likely be out of contact for a few days.  

~Linda



No comments:

Post a Comment