Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Tampa, FL

March 2-5

Sunday afternoon was spent at Sand Key State Park in Clearwater, FL... conveniently located about a half mile from our favorite restaurant, The Columbia. This is the area we have most frequently vacationed at as a family for  last 10 years.  My former college roommate from Spain, Michelle, introduced me to this area and Indian Rocks Beach more than 20 yrs ago and has since been a family favorite of ours.


Since we were not seeing her until Sunday night, we had planned to dine at the Columbia but the RV was too big for their parking lot.   Passing up the Columbia was very traumatic for me and the kids, but I had a Plan B.  Driving down Gulf Blvd, we passed by many of our other favorite places and again, could not stop because there was no where to park this thing! We finally found a place with ample parking, great food and life size Jenga!



My Mom wanted to see her friend, Michelle, who she met in Spain.  Tyler and I just wanted the Wi-Fi.  It was ok.  We went out for lunch with her at an old Spanish restaurant called Columbia.  It was so big!  I needed my Dad’s help for finding the bathroom.  I went up and down these big stairs so much times!  Tyler, my Mom and I were just there for the churros.  In case you don’t know what they are, they are dreamy, cinnamon sticks.  I love them.  Her parents came to her house, and my Dad made us meet them.  They were pretty funny.  We came in for spaghetti.  It was actually spaghetti squash.  My Dad doesn’t like gluten. The next day, we hit the road.
~Jack
We arrived just before her and, imagine my shock to see her 15 yr old son DRIVING! I just can't comprehend this...surely she is not old enough to have teenagers!!! That means I .... oh never mind...

Another gorgeous day in Tampa and from the weather app, we are not missing much at home.  



Time for some serious maintenance for me.  I can always count on Michelle to get me a beautified!  Off for pedicures and then to the Columbia for lunch (Plan B worked out!)  All those tapas bring back such fun memories of our time in Spain. I love how food can trigger memories just like music does.



Founded in 1905 by Cuban immigrant Casimiro Hernandez, Sr., the Columbia Restaurant is Florida’s oldest restaurant, and the largest Spanish restaurant in the world with 15 dining rooms, with seating for up to 1,700 people! The restaurant has a grand total of 52,000 square feet, and encompasses an entire city block. 

Back at the ranch, Scott taught Michelle how to make some cinnamon swirl bread.


Michelle's dog, Juno, and Scout became fast friends.




On Day 2 of my maintenance,  I was dropped off to get my hair done (sorry Darcy, I will see you soon!) I was feeling like million bucks by the time I left there!

Michelle's folks came by for a quick visit.  I always thoroughly enjoy seeing them.  Michelle's Dad comes bursting thru the door on fire! He is a Renaissance Man...an artist at sculpting, world traveler, story teller, with a zest for life that I have never seen in anyone else that I have ever met! He is a whirlwind and always leaves with me wanting to ask more questions and hear more stories....until next time!

I always love seeing Michelle and her family and am so grateful for our friendship that has spanned 25 yrs.  Even the dogs are friends now :)




~Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment