Thursday, February 6, 2014

Port Lavaca, TX

February 4th

In search of sunny skies, we made a caravan with Jason & Melissa to the ferry and then drove the 72 miles North from Port Aransas to Port Lavaca, TX.  We decided to just stick together because we were all having fun and we would have to part company soon anyway.  

Jason waiting in line for the free ferry!
It's a quick crossing!

We are at the Lighthouse RV park but it's main attraction is the bird sanctuary. There are over 2200 ft of wetlands walkway with a covered observatory.  I wish I was more interested in bird watching, but I'm just not that patient!  The afternoon temps warmed up for us and the sky opened up to sunshine.   We tried to take advantage of the milder temps as soon as we arrived and went for a walk along the walkways.  While there was a nice sandy beach at one end, it was still a bit too cool for the kids to enjoy.  The Texan's are not very happy about their weather right now, and neither are we.  Florida is looking really good and we are hightailing it out of Texas in the next day or so!
Melissa and I took Scout for a walk.
smelling the salt water marsh
Sunset

Jason and JAK had caught four huge red fish before we left Port Aransas, so, we had a huge fish fry LATE last night with grilled zucchini and homemade jalapeƱo/cheddar cheese bread.   Emhpasis on the word "late" haha...with all the gourmet preparations going on, we eat between 9-10pm.  Jason and Scott continue to cook it out nightly and remain inseparable! I hit the store with Melissa on the way in to the campground and made a big pot of Chili as an "appetizer" before the main event later on.

Feb 5

I had a crowd join me at this morning's sunrise!  A quick peek out the window and it looked like a decent sunrise would soon unfold.  JAK had slept over in our RV and all the boys wanted to get up with me for the sunrise.  I kind of wait until the last minute to get out of bed, then I am like a bat out of hell and out the door in 60 seconds or less.  I wait for no one, and didn't really feel like rallying 3 boys!!! My Jack was up and out, then I saw Melissa up and out, with coffee no less! I had to send Jack back to the RV to get the other JAK so he wouldn't be upset with me :) Jason was not too far behind.  Not a bad showing for a windy, cold morning!



Melissa & Jason 
A bit of laundry, a bit of housekeeping, a pan of lasagna and brownies all made and that sums up my day, followed by dinner, cards and hanging out with our friends...life is rough on the road!

One last group hug before we part company.

So, as much as we would love to stay and be gypsies with our new friends, we must carry on! They are waiting for family to come visit next week and we need to think about getting home sooner than later.  If we don't catch up with them on this trip, we will see them in New England this summer and have no doubt we have made some new life long friends.  Continued safe travels for all of us!

XXOO
~Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment