Thursday, February 13, 2014

Gulfport, MS

Feb 11-13

So Jack collaborated with me on this one...he would not let me edit it down either...just a warning...

Saying goodbye to New Orleans and hello to Gulfport, MS.  

click here to Watch Jack spell Mississippi with one i



When we arrived at Gulfhaven RV Resort, it was a good time to get some serious homework done.  I thought it would be fun to have a spelling test! The kids, not so much!  I think Scott should stick with the schooling and I will stick to the journaling and field trips. The kids watched a movie on evolution and we had some really intelligent conversation afterwards.  They are learning so much on the road and mostly from Scott.  We are fortunate that we have had this time together.  His main theme is always “question everything” and don’t just believe everything you read and what other people tell you.

For dinner we ate pasta with really spicy sausage that only my Dad could eat without scratching his tongue, licking the bread, and chugging down the water. The pasta and the bread were good though, really good, because the bread was homemade! 


Today we just hung out, I did my schoolwork and my Dad added a new thing to it.  He said I should watch a video from a site daily.  It’s called tromsite.com.  I watched one about science, and I liked it because it talked about what science really is.  At the end, it took speeches about science and made a song.  We also saw one called The Evolution of Everything.   
Tonight we are going to watch a movie. It’s about modern day pirates, called Captain Phillips. It was based on a true story. It said it was an action movie. They got that right! Tom Hanks was in it as Captain Phillips and he’s always in good movies. Somali pirates took over his ship and threatened to kill the crew because they wanted money.  I think they should’ve said please. Tom Hanks, (Captain Phillips), convinced them to leave with $30,000 dollars in cash. They left, but they took Captain Phillips hostage on a small rescue boat! They treated him pretty bad. I think they should’ve at least offered him water! It’s common decency! Eventually, the Navy SEALS saved him. 

~Jack
JACK: I got into bed after the movie was over, but it had some effect on us. My mom was feeling like she was on a lifeboat. I was feeling queasy with all this sea stuff and the bad weather was starting to arrive here. It turned out, something was inside of me that my body wanted to get out. It was coming out one way or another, whether I liked it, or not!  It was either the hard way, or… well, it was going to be gross either way. I got up, told my mom I was nauseous, and plopped onto the toilet seat. I fought against it, trying to get it out my bottom instead of my mouth. It was just a never-ending nightmare. Finally, I won the battle! I got it all out, fortunately, in the toilet. Then… the weather started getting rough, the tiny RV was tossed, if not for the courage of the fearless family, the RV would be lost. When the storm ended, we finally got some good night’s sleep.  (I think someone has been watching a lot of Gilligan’s Island on this trip!) 

we are the blue dot, left of center
Well, the RV did not get tossed, but we pulled in our slide out so the awning wouldn’t get damaged. It was thundering, lightening and pouring pretty good but the wind was pretty calm.  I think the wind is the scariest in an RV.  Here is a screenshot of the weather at the time! They were right on as they usually are in the exact moment that the weather is occurring!  It didn’t take too long to pass and the Tooth Fairy finally made an appearance after 4 lost teeth on this trip.  Last night was the first time anyone put a tooth under their pillow so they both got their payday!
    

We had a down day in the RV, kind of like a down day at home.  I worked on a Google Tour which you can find here click here and you will be redirected to Google Maps that maps our entire trip to date.

Scott made more bread...so good.  He made a honey wheat loaf too! He's spoiling us now.




~Linda & Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment