Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Gulf State Park, Alabama

Feb 16-17-18


We are in Alabama, or Florabama, since we are so close to Florida.  We got pretty lucky we got to stay at a state park because it was beautiful.  We woke up in the morning to go see people practice with an instrument called the dulcimer for a concert.  They were really cool instruments.  They were like violins with long bodies, but you hold it on your lap, as if it’s a keyboard.  We also went to the nature center and found out about the wildlife in the area.  I got to hold a snake, opossum, turtle, and pet an owl. I liked that place.  The guy there just kept bringing things out.  One thing branched out from another.  My brother related the opossum’s tail to the snake.  The opossum had very sharp claws, so it was a good thing I had a sweat shirt!  His tail was pretty strong and it was already slithering up my shirt.  I hope it didn’t slide down my pants squeeze anything fragile.  We’ve been told there were great biking trails and decided we should go on a bike ride.  It wasn’t mountain biking, but it was a paved through the woods.  It was a very nice ride, and on the way back, we got to ride by the beach.  The road was busy, but my Mom wanted to cross the road to get to the beach.  It had really nice shells too. When we got into the park again, we saw a dead armadillo.  It was pretty sad, and I even wanted to see one.  The day was gone before I knew it, and I only wish I could’ve seen more.
~Jack
It was pretty much a fluke that we ended up at this beautiful Gulf State Park. We did not have much internet access at Dauphin Island and had to figure out our destination on the fly!  This state park was completely destroyed by Hurricane Ivan in 9/2004 and had been rebuilt with almost 500 RV sites.  There is a backcountry trail system that goes for miles through the wilderness part of the park.  We are sitting waterfront on a lake and the Gulf is just beyond that, a short bicycle ride away. Lots of white stuff here...just sand instead of snow.  The beaches are gorgeous!
View from our site
In the park's events calendar, I noticed that there was a Dulcimer demonstration this morning.  Now, I was just introduced to a dulcimer the other day and now again.  Scott made us a great breakfast and the kids and I headed over to listen to the group practice for a concert.  They were really nice and showed us how it worked.  I am really intrigued.

After that, we went into the Nature Center.  I thought is was just a small "natural history" type of place.  We were pleasantly surprised to see and pet a live Eastern Screech Owl, hold an opossum, watch the box turtles roam the place and hold an albino snake.  The guy that was working there was so full of great information and we spent well over an hour with him.  All the animals, whether stuffed or alive are from the property here.  The kids were asking really intelligent questions and could answer more things than me!









Archimedes lost his eye in an accident with a car.







We spent the rest of the day biking the trails and we stopped at the beach for a walk in the sand, look for seashells and feel the warm gulf water. It was a nice 73 degrees...perfect because lately it has been at least 10-20 degrees to cold!




We just pulled into Pensacola to replace our RV water tank...glad we have the warranty so it's all covered.  They needed us here early, so we are plugged in on their property and they can start first thing in the morning.  Hopefully it won't take more than 1 day, the tank is already here.

The pictures from back at home make me feel really sorry for you all.  The snow has been relentless! If it is any consolation, we have not had the nicest weather either. :)

~Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment